Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Weekend of Firsts

Twas the first weekend of the new semester.
Twas the first weekend of the new semester of a new year.
Twas the first weekend of the new semester of a new year of a new decade.
Twas the first time I saw a movie for the second time in theaters. Which film was deserving of this award? Jason Reitman's "Up in the Air".

Twas the first time I ingested Nutella. And I want more. It's like a drug. A chocolatey thing made of deliciousness.
Twas the first time I was a part of a human pyramid.

Twas the first time I saw a 3D movie in theaters. Which film was this? Only the biggest film on the market now: James Cameron's "Avatar". The story and the characters were old and a tad predictable, but the CG and special effects in general did a damn good job of elevating the story and characters. I have a strong feeling that more and more movies will be heading the way of "Avatar". ... Just as long as the 3D isn't used as more of a gimmick as opposed to an immersive experience. 3D gimmicks are so over-used, like "Oh, hey, I'll just toss this pick-axe at the camera, which will freak the shit out of the audience!"
Twas the first time I didn't try out for the campus comedy troupe. I'm on good terms with the members already, so do I really need to spend 3 or so hours slaving away for one of the ten to fifteen callback slots and eventually the one open slot they have to offer? Do I really need to spend my precious time to feel like I'm a part of their priveliged group when I can just talk with them in passing or before or after class or during meetings for other clubs? No. I don't.
And ... that's that. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's back to work for me. One last stretch before hitting the hay and starting the second of fifteen or so weeks.

No comments: