Friday, January 08, 2010

365 Photos, Day 8: A Movie and Dinner (inc. a short Sherlock Holmes review)



So, I caught a mid-day showing of Sherlock Holmes with my brother and 2 friends.
  • Acting:
    • RDJ was quite strong as Holmes. Yes, the character was different from the methodical, calculating Holmes that everyone knows, but he still did have some of the classic Holmes about him: his knowledge and use of fighting maneuvers, his violin, his pipe, possibly his drug habits, and a brief mention of Mycroft, his brother.
    • Law was also good as Watson.
    • McAdams was lacking ... something. I don't know what. But she did a decent job.
    • Strong was alright as Blackwood.
  • Design:
    • The costumes went perfectly with the era, despite Holmes's costume not being the traditional trench coat and hat. The sets also worked perfectly.
  • Story:
    • Being an original story, I would say that it worked well, although it did seem to be lacking a little something. It brought in elements of Conan Doyle's Holmes, including nods to other Holmes stories, which I liked. I'm not a Holmes purist, but yes, it was an enjoyable new take on the Holmes legend and it was a good bit of filmic fan fic. But then again, it did its job in setting up for the most definite sequel, which will no doubt focus on Holmes and (SPOILER ALERT) Professor Moriarty. Who will play the arch rival? I have no clue.
Overall, I enjoyed the flick. I'd give it ... a 7.5 or 8 out of 10. If you do go see it, I'd suggest a matinee showing.

No comments: