Saturday, September 01, 2012

#NewToWho


This all starts back in the fall of 2008. I was new to college and had taken to hanging out at the radio station. Wait, I'd better back it up a bit.
The previous summer, I was on a two-week family bar/bat mitzvah tour in Israel. It was partway through the trip and we were staying on a kibbutz in or near the Golan Heights for a night or two. My brother and I had moved our suitcases into our rooms and we flipped on the TV to see what was on. I discovered an episode of Doctor Who. It was 'The Girl In The Fireplace'. I believe it was around when Rose blasted one of the Clockwork Droids with liquid nitrogen ... or whatever it was. My brother wanted to change the channel, so we fought over the remote and I didn't end up catching any more of the episode.
Fast forward a few months. It's my first fall semester and I've taken up with the radio station crowd. There's a cool guy there named Matt. He carries around a Sonic Screwdriver in his satchel and brings fun card games to the station, like Gloom. He's responsible for getting me into Doctor Who. And a girl, but she moved/transferred during or at the end of the semester. I don't think he showed me any episodes, but he might've suggested a few episodes to watch, like 'Blink'. So I ended up watching 'Blink', which I think was my first full episode. Or it might've been 'The Shakespeare Code', which I watched when New Who episodes were rebroadcast on the local PBS affiliate on Saturday nights. Yup, in the study lounge on a Saturday night on Skype/doing homework whilst watching some Doctor Who.
Over the years since then, I managed to catch up on most of New Who, just about in time for the Tennant specials. Well, not all the way caught up, as I don't think I'd seen all of Donna's episodes by that time, but I was able to complete Series 4 either last summer or the summer before that. And I've never missed an episode since. I sadly have yet to get into Classic Who, but it has been on my list for a while.
Apart from that, I've cosplayed as 10 a number of times: Halloweens '09 - '11, 2 or 3 Halloween parties, PAX East '10 - '12 ... and I made a fan short around when I was first getting into the show.

So there's my story. I hope you enjoy. Allons-y!

(Note: cross-posted on my Tumblr.)

No comments: