Wednesday, August 01, 2012

On Being Negligent (and James Bond)

My watch tells me that it's August 1st. So does my Droid. And my iHome. And my laptop. Which means it has been about a month and a half since I last posted something, something being the Canadian Rockies recaps. So I've been neglectful. It happens.
If there's anything that I don't feel is worthy of being posted up here, it goes on my Tumblr ... which tends to happen a lot. Like my post this morning about frustrations, some being with my camp job. Sure, it's not what I was hoping to do right out of college, but it's a job and a job is a job, so I'm dealing with it for another week and a half-ish. Maybe "dealing with it" isn't the best turn of phrase ... more like "working through it".
Don't get me wrong, I'm having a good time with the kids, even if they don't always listen and behave, but then again, they're going into the first grade (except for one kid in the group who is a little older ... paperwork mistake). At least some of them are restoring my hope in the future generations. One kid (the slightly older one) is into Doctor Who, thanks to his mom and sister watching episodes at home. Another expressed interest in Paranorman after seeing my phone background on the bus ride back to camp today. I questioned him a little further and learned that he's seen some of Coraline and is looking to see the film again. I suggested that he read the novella and he took the suggestion well, even asking if I could take the book out of the library for him. I chuckled and said that he could check it out himself.
***
Anyways, I've been keeping busy in the last month and a half or so, even though I started working on the first Monday of July. This keeping busy has included watching a number of movies (some on DVD, some in theaters), TV on DVD (like Breaking Bad and The Hour), TV on TV (namely Eureka, Warehouse 13, and some cooking shows ... and Gravity Falls), and Bond novels. Lots and lots of Bond novels. The idea for a Bondathon struck me while I was on the aforementioned vacation with the family, so I compiled a list of all the novels and the films and started placing holds through the library's e-catalog. I planned to watch the films in chronological order and read the novels they were adapted from ... which has resulted in a bit of confusion, as the novels I've read so far (Doctor No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Diamonds Are Forever, and (most recently) Live and Let Die) have been read out of order. It's taken a little getting used to, but it's still enlightening. And what is a marathon without commentaries on said novels and films? Instead of a weekly blog post write-up, I decided to review the films and novels in a Books Vs. Movies vlog format.

The videos have been on the lengthy side (7.5 to 8.25 minutes), but I would definitely say they're worth it if you want a Bond refresher leading up to the release of Skyfall in November. And speaking of Skyfall, I might as well link the new trailer. I can't tell much about Bardem's character of Silva, but I'm quite excited to see the return of Q, the appearance of Ralph Fiennes, the globe-hopping, the action sequences, and Craig as Bond. So, without further ado, enjoy the new trailer.

***
Anyways, at this rate, I'll probably be writing again in mid to late September, but it'll probably be sooner as I have one or two items in the pipeline ... not counting the few Things I'm working on. You might hear more about these Things in the coming weeks/months. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some applications to get back to ... along with filming this week's Bondathon video, reading, and listening to "Wait Wait".

No comments: