Sunday, February 27, 2011

2011 Oscar Picks

From one awards show to another we go. This time, it's the Oscars. And I'm a film buff (despite not seeing a fair amount of the classics like Gone With the Wind, Braveheart, and Dances With Wolves), so this is a big deal for me. And for the first time, I've seen all but two of the Best Picture nominees. So without further ado, Here are my picks. And yes, I'll be live-blogging the ceremonies on Sunday. And once again, I'll be competing with Danielle. Friendly competition, mind you. We haven't decided on what the winner will receive. ANYWAY (in reverse order) ...

Best Live-Action Short is one of the over-looked categories that I don't get to ... so I'm just going to pick Wish 143. It sounds amusing. Dying 21 year old cancer patient goes to a Make-A-Wish-like group and asks for sex before he dies. Also nominated are The ConfessionThe CrushGod of Love, and Na Wewe.

I'm going with Pixar's Day & Night out of habit for Best Animated Short ... 'cause it's Pixar and they're awesome. The GruffaloLet's PolluteThe Lost Thing, and Madagascar, Carnet de Voyage are also nominated.


Um ... *does Eenie Meanie Miney Moe* Poster Girl for Best Documentary Short? Also nominated were Killing in the Name, Strangers No More, Sun Come Up, and The Warriors of Qiugang.

I'll give Best Visual Effects to Inception. Seriously awesome stuff. Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1, Hereafter (Seriously, was it for the giant wave or for Clint?), and Iron Man 2 were also nominated.


Inception for Best Sound MixingThe King's SpeechSaltThe Social Network, and True Grit were also nominated.

Let's give one to TRON: Legacy, shall we? Also nominated in Best Sound Editing is InceptionToy Story 3True Grit, and Unstoppable.



Another category I don't pay much attention to, but I'll go with "If I Rise" from 127 Hours for Best Song. Also nominated are "Coming Home" from Country Strong, "I See the Light" from Tangled, and "We Belong Together" from Toy Story 3.

The epicness of Inception or the awesome electronica of The Social Network ... Zimmer it is! Also nominated for Best Score is 127 HoursHow to Train Your Dragon, and The King's Speech.



Um ... let's just give The Wolfman Best Makeup, shall we? It's Rick Baker! Also nominated were Barney's Version and The Way Back.

Oh ... the smooth flowing ballet-like editing of Black Swan or the stacatto cutting of The Social Network? I'll go with Black Swan. Also nominated in Best Editing are 127 HoursThe Fighter, and The King's Speech.

I'll say Alice in Wonderland for Best Costume Design. Also nominated were I Am LoveThe King's SpeechThe Tempest, and True Grit.

Grrr, another tough category ... part of me is saying The Social Network, but another is saying Black Swan for Best Cinematography ... I'll go with Black Swan. Also nominated are InceptionThe King's Speech, and True Grit.

I'll pick Alice in Wonderland for Best Art Direction. Also nominated were Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1InceptionThe King's Speech, and True Grit.

We can either go political (Gasland, Inside JobRestrepo) or odd (Exit Through the Gift Shop) or inspiring (Waste Land) for Best Documentary. Sounds like Exit Through the Gift Shop is going to take it, so I'll go with it.

Best Toy Animated Story Feature 3. Additionally, How to Train Your Dragon and The Illusionist received nominations.

Um ... I don't get to see many foreign films ... but let's go with Biutiful for Best Foreign Language FilmDogtoothIn a Better WorldIncendies, and Outside the Law are also nominated.

Let's give one to Nolan for Inception, shall we? Also nominated in Best Original Screenplay are Mike Leigh (Another Year), Scott Silver + Paul Tamasy + Eric Johnson (The Fighter), Lisa Cholodenko and Stuart Blumberg (The Kids Are All Right), and David Seidler (The King's Speech).

Gaaaaaaah, why must the Best Adapted Screenplay category be another tough one? Um ... I'm going with Sorkin for The Social Network. Also nominated were Danny Boyle and Simon Beaufoy (127 Hours), Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3), The Coen Brothers (True Grit), and Debra Granik and Anne Roselini (Winter's Bone).

I'd honestly be happy with any of the nominees for Best Director, but I think I'll have to go with Fincher (The Social Network). But Aronofsky (Black Swan) would be a pleasant surprise. Additionally, David O. Russell (The Fighter), Tom Hooper (The King's Speech), and the Coen Brothers (True Grit) were nominated.

Natalie Portman. Black SwanBest Actress. Need I say more? Additionally, Annette Bening (The Kids Are All Right), Nicole Kidman (Rabbit Hole), Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone), and Michelle Williams (Blue Valentine) were nominated.

Best Actor, without a doubt, goes to Colin Firth as King George VI in The King's Speech. Additionally, James Franco (127 Hours), Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network), Jeff Bridges (True Grit), and Javier Bardem (Biutiful) were nominated.

I'd be all for Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross in True Grit for Best Supporting Actress, but Helena Bonham Carter was pretty good in The King's Speech ... Hailee it is! Additionally, Amy Adams and Melissa Leo were up for their performances in The Fighter and Jacki Weaver got a nod for her part in Animal Kingdom.

Best Supporting Actor seems to be a bit of a toughie for me. See, I've heard fantastic things about Christian Bale in The Fighter, but Geoffery Rush was excellent in The King's Speech ... but I'll go with Bale. Additionally, John Hawkes (Winter's Bone), Jeremy Renner (The Town ... and also fantastic in The Hurt Locker), and Mark Ruffalo (The Kids Are All Right) garnered nominations.

For Best Picture, I'm going with The King's Speech. My explanation is here. Additionally, The Social NetworkTrue GritBlack SwanInception127 HoursThe Kids Are All RightThe FighterToy Story 3, and Winter's Bone are nominated.

Let's see how my picks do tonight. What are some of yours? And who will do better with their picks?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have some of the same picks
I did an oscar poll 20 bucks with my dad and his work