Sunday, December 12, 2010

Unpublished Column

What follows is the column I wrote for the Finals issue of the campus paper. It won't be appearing in the issue because I missed the deadline by a few hours. :( Enjoy!
***

Politically, the news recently has been a tad depressing, what with the lame duck session, as well as one major international story.  A repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell has been shot down.  A tax cut compromise for the rich has been passed, but there is hope.  Last I heard, there’s a filibuster against it.  As for the international hubbub, there’s the Wikileaks uproar.  But that all doesn’t really bother me right now.  Why?  I’m happy right now.
I’m just happy.  Maybe it’s because classes are over.  Maybe it’s because I’m nice and warm inside my apartment.  Maybe it’s because there’s snow in the air and on the ground as of when I’m writing this.  Maybe it’s because of the Christmas-y tunes I’ve been spinning recently, even though I don’t celebrate Christmas.  Hey, maybe there should be more Hanukkah songs that aren’t quite traditional and aren’t written and performed by Adam Sandler.  It gets old.  Maybe it’s because I can just see the light at the end of the tunnel and, God, is it a sight for sore eyes.  I don’t know why.  But I’m happy, which is quite a good thing, especially during this time of the semester and year.
Yes, that’s right, it’s time for finals.  Some of your classes might’ve been the best you’ve taken this semester or so far in your college career.  Your professors and/or TAs might’ve been extremely enthusiastic about their respective subjects and were able to convey as much as they possibly could to you to get you ready for the final exam, if there is one.  Some of your classes might’ve been the absolute worst.  Your professors and/or TAs might’ve been droll and boring and monotonous and picky with all their assignment grading.  But thankfully, it’s all over now.  Mostly over, that is.  Everyone has a few more days before they pack up and head home for a nice six weeks of recuperation and family time.
Six weeks. Six whole weeks. Can you believe it?  Six whole weeks of relaxation after a grueling fifteen weeks of classes is like heaven.  What are you going to do?  You’ve got plenty of time to spend in New York City, depending on your proximity.  You’ve also got plenty of time to spend with friends, apart from family, as well as catch up on pleasure reading, if you do that at all.  Traveling, reading, and family time is what I have awaiting me.  Travel-wise, I’ll be spending about a week in Toronto and ten days in Israel on a Birthright trip.  Reading-wise, I have a feeling that I’ll finish at least five books.  And as for family time, two to three weeks at home are just fine for me.
But what sucks, and I mean REALLY sucks, is that the spring semester starts on my birthday.  Not that I’m complaining or anything … but worst timing ever!  Oh, and The Decemberists have a three show run at the Beacon during that first week of classes.  I’m currently bemoaning the transportation woes.  Actually, that doesn’t really matter.  I’ll be back here at [REDACTED], celebrating my birthday with friends and starting some hopefully interesting classes.
Happy holidays and a happy New Year to all! See everyone in 2011!

No comments: