Saturday, November 13, 2010

6 Hours on a Bus + A Rockin' Night

Yesterday morning, I woke at what seemed like (and probably was) the crack of dawn to get ready for what was to be a fair portion of my traveling for that day. An early bus was waiting for me to go home. I needed a new lower retainer, so the orthodontist had an appointment, which I claimed and during which I got a new impression of my lower teeth. While on the bus down and back, I noticed a fair amount of things that I want to share.
- Outside the bus at the terminal, I see a grandfather, his son, and his grandson and granddaughter. The grandson has curly/wavy brown hair and is wearing an orange jacket. The granddaughter has a black bob cut and is in a purple jacket. The children are doing the "Let's jump in the air while holding onto your hands so you can hold us up for a few seconds" thing. All very cute.
- I engaged a nice older woman (wearing a burgundy/magenta sweater/vest) in a short conversation. When she got I, I saw that she was reading Let Me In/Let The Right One In. I waited to ask her about it until her adult daughter moved up to take the seat next to me when the girl sitting in it got off. The elder woman said that while she is liking the novel, it's quite gory enough and probably won't be seeing either film adaptation. She then asked if I had read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, to which I replied that I started it and then put it off to the side, determined to get back to it. She proceeded to mention something she heard about the planned American adaptation: that it would be less realistic than the original film.
- My travel buddy was a nice guy named Dan, a micro-science major (if my memory serves me) in grad school up in Ithaca. We traded college basics (major, etc.).
- The driver was very protective of his bus. He stopped twice. The first time was a guy talked a bit loudly on his cell phone (I didn't hear because I had my headphones on.), so the driver stopped, pulled over, and walked back to him and asked strongly if he could quiet his conversation. What happened to courteous phone calls? The second time was a guy in the way back who had been smoking on the bus. I had smelled smoke, but I thought that somebody had smoked before getting on the bus ... and I realized after the guy had been kicked off that there were no stops where people got on after the halfway stop. Smoking on a bus? Really?
When I returned in the evening, I made my way down to campus to assist with stuff for the band show that the music group I'm a part of. There were four bands playing, one of which I'd heard of and seen twice prior. I'd heard of and heard a bit of one of the other groups. The first two groups, A Fire With Friends and Swear & Shake, were pretty cool. The third group, Secret Beach (a local group), was alright. And the fourth and final group, River City Extension, really heated up the place, as the windows in the room fogged over and flannel shirts and t-shirts were removed. They blew the house down with seven high energy tracks from their album, along with a few new tracks, that had the crowd dancing along in a mosh pit of sorts.
After that gig, I went downstairs to check out a Neutral Milk Hotel cover group called Neutral Uke Hotel, made up of members of Golden Bloom and The Motion Sick. Apart from played "In An Aeroplace Over The Sea", the trio played versions of some songs from their respective groups, along with another Neutral Milk song. Overall, they were pretty cool. And a bit geeky, too. :)

Until next time! Allons-y, Alonso!

No comments: