Saturday, October 02, 2010

On Crepes

Mind you that I have never made crepes prior to this. I've only eaten them ... a few times. And these were made on September 17th.
I picked up some Nutella from Walmart on my first weekend back when my parents and I went on a shopping run. I hadn't had in a long while and saw a large display of it ... so I just had to pick up a small container of it. It remained untouched until I decided "Hey, I want to make some crepes with Nutella filling!" ... And that's most likely because Morgan returned to making cooking videos and I decided to look up some Alton Brown stuff on Youtube ... and crepes looked easy enough. So I made crepes.

Dessert Crepes, a la Good Eats
The first crepe.
Ingredients
2 large eggs
3/4 cup of milk
1/2 cup of water
1 cup flour
3 tbls melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2.5 tbls sugar

The finished products ... with Nutella at the ready.
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor on high for seven to ten seconds, sos not to let the water and flour start to combine and form gluten (Thank you, Alton.). Place in fridge to cool for an hour or longer to get the air bubbles out. Lubricate a 7 or so inch pan with butter on medium heat. Ladle in a quarter cup of batter and keep it moving in the pan to set it in the pan. As the batter starts to curl in around the edges, flip the crepe. Let it sit for ten seconds to set the other side.
Makes 12 to 16 crepes.

1 Nutella crepe coming up!
YUUUUUUM!
The first crepe turned out alright. Flipping each crepe got progressively trickier, as they started sticking and I had to employ a spatula to free them from the clutches of the pan.

And the cooking ended with a visit from Brandon, my roomie from last year. His "psychic" senses lead him to me ... and the crepes (He actually swung by as he was up at the apartments. The crepes were a pleasant surprise.) And he liked them! ... But he left after leaving a parting message.

Until next recipe! Allons-y!

No comments: